The idea is born: It has been clear since the last century that global warming is a real phenomenon. And, the likelihood is that it is at least partly man made. In 2005 while visiting Cranfield University I came across a unique concept of a dual fuelling technology. Professor Doug Greenhalgh (Chair of IEA clean combustion committee) said he thought it was one of the smartest ideas he had come across.
And raised: As a result, we got a local grant to build the first ‘optimiser’. That was in 2008, when we won the Shell Springboard Award. In 2009 we were taken into the Carbon Trust Fast track scheme, under the care of Carbon Limiting Technologies. In 2010-2011-2012 we were invested by Finance Wales, alongside some business angels. In 2011 we were selected by MAN for use in LPG/diesel trials, only for the company to cease all LPG work. As a result we moved to diesel/Natural Gas.
And grows up: As well as shareholders, G-volution has been hugely supported by a number of carbon trust and innovate grants allowing development of both the control system and unique emissions technology. As a result of this development work, G-volution has been able to expand its product delivery into the following areas:
- Diesel LNG truck conversions for a major UK customer, whose sales have doubled due to its green credentials.
- Diesel LPG trucks to UK and European customers using green LPG
- Diesel CNG for locomotives in the USA
- Diesel LNG for locomotives in the UK
- Development work on diesel methanol, hydrous ethanol and hydrogen for various applications.